Friday, August 3, 2012

Phelps waiting for emotions to hit

(CBS/AP) Michael Phelps hasn't had much time to let his Olympic wins really sink in.

The U.S. swimmer claimed his third gold of the London Games and 17th of his career, adding to an already absurd record total that should be twice as much as anyone else by the time he swims the final race of his career, the 4x100 medley relay Saturday night.

After winning the 100-meter butterfly for a third consecutive Olympics on Friday, Phelps was still trying to absorb the excitement.

"To be honest, I thought it would hit me harder than it is right now," Phelps told USA Today. "I don't really, I don't know, I guess a lot of those emotions haven't really come through my brain over the last week." He added, "Once I'm done and once tomorrow is over, I think there is going to be a lot more emotion that really comes out."

Complete Coverage: 2012 London Olympics

Friday marked the final individual race of Phelp's career, as he plans to retire after the 2012 Summer Games.

"I'm just happy that the last one was a win," Phelps told The Associated Press. "That's all I really wanted coming into the night."

In addition to three gold medals, Phelps also scored two silver medals at the London Games: the 4x100 free relay and one in the 200-meter butterfly.