Thursday, May 10, 2012

Obama spiritual adviser 'disappointed' by gay marriage endorsement

A Florida pastor considered to be President Obama's spiritual adviser says he was disappointed by the president's decision to publicly announce his support for same-sex marriage. 

The Rev. Joel Hunter told MyFoxOrlando that the president called him before his announcement aired. Hunter, the evangelical pastor of the 15,000 member Northland church in Longwood, said the decision makes it harder to support the president though he will continue to do so. 

"I'm disappointed, not entirely surprised, because he thinks with his heart," Hunter said. 

"He knew where I stood, because I'm an evangelical and I believe in what the scripture says. One of the reasons he was calling was to protect our relationship and give me a 'heads up' on an interview he had just done," Hunter said. "It wasn't something we were able to talk through, or I would have talked him out of it." 

Hunter said he told the president that he disagreed with him. 

Click here to continue reading at MyFoxOrlando.com.