Thursday, May 10, 2012

Obama: Biden forced hand, but "all's well"

President Obama and Vice President Biden over rainbow flag(Credit: CBS/AP)

(CBS News) President Obama had already decided to back same-sex marriage before Vice President Joe Biden said over the weekend that he was "comfortable" with same-sex couples getting married.

"I had already made a decision that we were going to take this position before the election and before the convention," Mr. Obama said in an interview with ABC News, referring to the Democratic nominating convention set to take place this summer in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Asked if he was upset with Biden for jumping the gun, Mr. Obama said Biden "got out a little bit over his skis, but out of generosity of spirit."

"Would I have preferred to have done this in my own way in my own terms without I think there being a a lot of notice to everybody, sure, but all's well that ends well," Mr. Obama said.