Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Christie: Romney might be able to 'convince' me to be running mate

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said Monday that Mitt Romney might be able to "convince" him to be his running mate -- the first time the governor has appeared to open up to the idea in public. 

The brash Garden State governor repeatedly has played down the idea of being the Republican vice presidential nominee, saying he's not interested in being anyone else's No. 2. That's just not his style, he argues. 

But speaking to a group of high school students in western New Jersey on Monday, he took the question and said this: 

"He might be able to convince me. He's a convincing guy, but I really love this job. I really want to stay in this job." 

Christie, according to MyFoxPhilly.com, also reiterated that he has "no interest in being vice president," before saying he'd hear out the former Massachusetts governor and presumptive GOP presidential nominee. 

"But if Gov. Romney called and asked me to sit down and talk to him about it, I'd listen because I think you owe the nominee of your party that level of respect, and who knows what he's going to say," Christie said.